Towards development of Earth Observation-based water quality assessment and monitoring system of Lithuanian surface waters
The objective of this project is to enhance water quality assessment, algal bloom forecasting and monitoring system of Lithuanian surface waters by using Earth Observation (EO) data and developing EO based products relevant to the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD).
1) the calibration/validation of the EO data from satellite missions with in situ measurements for development or improvement of existing bio-optical algorithms over Lithuanian water bodies with different trophic level;
2) the development of EO-based water quality products considering the indicators and requirements for water quality assessment according to the WFD and MSFD;
3) the development of simple statistical algal bloom model driven by EO-data and environmental conditions (temperature, weather conditions) for operational forecasting of tomorrows situation.
4) the development of innovative, simple, end-users driven Decision tree based on in situ, EO and algal bloom model for water ecological status assessment and forecasting;
5) the creation of strong and long-term relations with potential end-users from local water management authorities for understanding their needs and possible integration of EO data.
KLAIPEDA UNIVERSITY, MARINE RESEARCH INSTITUTE, Lithuania
UNIVERSITY OF TARTU, ESTONIAN MARINE INSTITUTE, Estonia
NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF ITALY, INSTITUTE FOR ELECTROMAGNETIC SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT, Italy